Oamaru’s First Post Office

Now a restaurant, this former post office, built 1864 is now Ōamaru’s oldest surviving public building.

It is the only known example of architect W. H. Clayton’s work remaining in the town and differs from its more elaborate neighbour, the second post office, which replaced it in 1884. The circular openings in the tower were for a clock which was never installed.